Now that the little man has some choppers, it’s been exciting to watch him pick up food and actually eat it….like an actual human, ha. However, that also comes with its challenges. How do I introduce food to Liam that’s appealing, age appropriate, but nutrient dense?
Since Liam has graduated from the easy to prepare and serve purees, I’ve been focused on making him simple, yet nutritious food. Aka food that I eat on a regular basis that’s safe enough for babies (without sweetener, salt, or raw ingredients). Ever since I began my AIP journey in 2016 and stumbled upon US Wellness Meats, I’ve remained loyal because of it’s mission to offer Grass Fed and clean products. Some of my favorites from USWM include the organ meat selections, soy and free range chicken, and diversified protein selections. US Wellness Meats is truly one of the few brands I trust to nourish my soon-to-be one year old kiddo.
Lamb is definitely an acquired taste to even adults, but while we’re still in the human food introduction phase, it’s been fun to test out new menu items for Liam to feed himself.
Liam’s (and Mama’s) Lamb Meatballs
(Servings 10-12 Small meatballs)
- 1 pound of USWM Ground Lamb
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of finely chopped mint
- 1 tbsp of finely ground oregano
- 1 tbsp of beef lard
- 1/2 tbsp of cumin
- 1 dash of powdered garlic
1. Place the ground lamb and spices into a mixing bowl; combine with hand or spoon thoroughly.
2. Roll 10-12 small meatballs using hands and set aside.
3. Heat up a medium sized skillet to medium high heat and place the beef lard inside to melt.
4. Once melted, place the meatballs in the pan and cook completely through and browned.
5. Serve! I usually make boiled or baked sweet potatoes (boiled in bone broth) and topped with coconut oil or lard on the side. Then place the meatballs on top and sprinkled with sea salt. * When serving Liam, I roughly tear up half of a meatball for one “meal seating,” and offer chunks of the sweet potato so he can grab with his hands (no added salt).
Thank you US Wellness Meats for sponsoring this post! It’s incredible to me that I partner with brands I love and truly believe in on One Full Plate.